Monday, September 19, 2011

Brasserie Dupont - Saison Dupont

Widely considered to be the king of saisons, this original Belgian ale is 6.5% ABV.


Appearance: The beer is golden straw colored, cloudy, with a thick 3-4 finger head that recedes down to about one finger's worth with thick lacing left on the glass.

Smell: It's musky (or do I mean musty?) and vaguely woody, or possibly grassy. I'm reminded of hay. There is also an undertone of ester -- banana possibly. Given that saisons are known as "farmhouse ales," it's really rather appropriate that this kind of smells like I'm eating fruit inside of a barn. (As an aside: it's interesting how often the taste and smell of some beers are described using traditionally unflattering adjectives or descriptions. It's why I include an "overall" section at the end of my reviews, so that I can be much more clear on whether or not I actually like it. I'll cut to the chase here and say that despite saying Saison Dupont smells like a barn, it's actually not unpleasant. You'd have to smell it yourself to understand what I mean.)

Taste: Very nice. Apple cider opens on the palate, and it gives way to earthy spiciness and lemon. I suspect the yeast is contributing the majority of the character here, as there is no sweet maltiness present at all and very little bitterness from grain. It's all earth, fruit, and (pleasant) funkiness.

Mouthfeel: Light and clean. Saisons always strike me as being great for spring and summer, with their (usually) low alcohol content, refreshing carbonation, and earthy tastes evocative of laying in a field next to an apple orchard.

Overall: This is absolutely exemplary of the style. Many saisons brewed stateside have some kind of adjunct or other gimmick, but this is definitely traditional. It's uncomplicated but still delightful, and as I mentioned earlier, I suspect that the carefully-cultivated Belgian yeast used in the origins of the style is largely responsible for the finished product. It's not an in-your-face beer or one that is necessarily a standout amongst all beers, but amongst saisons it's easy to see why this is a must-try. It's quietly accomplished and likely to be enjoyed by all, from novice beer drinkers to seasoned experts.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment