Friday, January 4, 2013

Central Waters - Bourbon Barrel Barleywine (2012)

Of this 11.5% ABV beer, Central Waters says: "A barleywine ale aged for a full year on used bourbon barrels, this beer has flavors of dark fruits and wood, winner of the Gold Medal at the 2008 Great American Beer Festival." 

I received this from a friend with access to CW's beers, since it's not available in CA. Thank you! I'm drinking the 2012 vintage.


Appearance: Deep, slightly cloudy, copper. A small head pours from the bottle, less than 1 finger in height, and it recedes fairly quickly to nothing and leaves no lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Vanilla, fig, cherry, oak, and a bit of alcohol. Sweetness comes from caramel and brown sugar notes in the malt.

Taste: There's definitely a big kick from the barrel, as spice and vanilla from the bourbon are dominant on the palate. Underneath that is sweetness from dark fruit and the malt. Toward the end, there is a trace of heat from the alcohol, especially as the beer warms. I started sipping at around cellar temp, and the beer is now closer to room temp; the alcohol is much more obvious.

Mouthfeel: Quite full bodied, thick and syrupy, with faint low levels of carbonation and an overall smoothness. The heaviness here contributes to the huge overall impact of the beer.

Overall: This is definitely a good beer and a heavy-hitter, one that I've been sipping slowly like a fine spirit. I'd say generally I like the flavors, which play nicely together, but this isn't a standout barleywine for me. I've had others I much prefer.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment