Sunday, May 1, 2011

Avery - The Maharaja (2010)

Imperial IPA, 10.5% ABV

This Maharaja was originally bottled in May 2010, so the one-year aging process was a trial on my part to see how well I was able to age an imperial IPA (the most ageable variety of IPA, apparently.)




Appearance: clear and copper, with noticeable carbonation. When poured from the bottle into the pint, head grows to about 2 fingers depth and the recedes after a few minutes, leaving substantial lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell: I get wood, pineapple, and some vaguely floral notes.

Taste: Wow. So the year of aging definitely deepened the alcohol content compared to what I remember from when I had it on tap and in the bottle a year ago. The alcohol taste is quite pronounced. I also get musk (not in a bad way) and pine. The maltiness is also stronger as well, compared to what I remember. It's bitter at the finish thanks to the hops, but throughout the body everything is slightly tinged with sweetness.

Mouthfeel: The beer feels thick but not chewy or viscous. The carbonation contributes a lightness that I think is quite necessary at this point due to the punch from the alcohol.

Overall: Though I think I prefer the Maharaja fresh (I just purchased another bottle which, thanks to this experiment, I plan on drinking shortly, and perhaps even re-reviewing it!) this wasn't a bad experience overall. I'm definitely curious what the ABV is at a year after bottling, since a few sips in I'm already feeling the effects of the booze. 10.5% is already not messing around, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 12% now. I first had the Maharaja on tap at the Surly Goat and was instantly impressed by how bold it is; after a year of aging it's certainly even bolder. Overall for me this is one of my favorite IPAs and is definitely a recommended brew. However, I think until I try it fresh again I can't give it full marks because compared to my top two IPAs (Sculpin and Pliny the Elder) I don't get as varied of a flavor profile.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment