Monday, June 20, 2011

Maui Brewing Company - Coconut Porter

American Porter, 6% ABV




Appearance: The beer is opaque black, with minimal head and very little residual lacing.

Smell: Predominantly coconut and chocolate.

Taste: Rich, creamy chocolate, coconut, mocha (yes, I understand that chocolate, already mentioned, is a component of mocha, but I guess I felt that rather than distinct chocolate and coffee notes, the expected coffee taste is tempered by the chocolate -- thus, mocha) and hazelnut.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, with nice pricks of carbonation to lighten the overall effect.

Overall: This is a lovely, lovely beer. It needs to be warmed after taking out of the fridge to get the full range of the creamyness and toasted malt. I've mentioned before on my personal blog that drinking this reminds me in a way of Double Rainbow's Ultra Chocolate Ice Cream. It has the same rich decadence, but unlike a pint of ice cream, the texture and mouthfeel is lent levity by the carbonation. I don't really know anyone who wouldn't enjoy this.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment