Sunday, August 14, 2011

Firestone - Double Jack

Double IPA, 9.5% ABV


Appearance: Dark blonde, honey orange, deep brass. There is very little head, less than one finger, but it leaves a trace of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Heavenly! Aromatic citrus, pineapple and mango, and trace hops.

Taste: Fresh citrus, spicy pine throughout the body and on the finish, with a nice balance of bitter hops and sweet malt. A really clean, balanced beer. Very tasty. The tang/spiciness of the pine is a really unique element here that adds a lot to the standard DIPA formula.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light in the mouth, moderate carbonation and a thin but not weak consistency. Substantial, but not overbearing in the least.

Overall: I first had this on tap at Verdugo Bar and knew instantly I wanted to find it in bottles. I frequently have the experience of the beer just not being quite the same in the bottle as it is on the tap, but I have to say I wasn't disappointed here. Double Jack holds up very well in the bottle and reminded me perfectly of why I liked it so much the first time. I'll definitely seek this out in the future, and highly recommend it to other hop heads -- particularly those who like the sweetness in their IPAs to come from the fruit characteristics, not from overpowering malt.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment