Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tyranena Brewing Company - Who's Your Daddy?

I don't have a ton of information about this one! I know the October 2012 vintage was bottled in very limited amounts this year, and that it is brewed very irregularly; allegedly the last time was in 2006! Wow! So thank you, as always, to a good beer friend from the Midwest who sent this my way. Who's Your Daddy? is an Imperial Porter, and I don't honestly know what the ABV was, but it's probably somewhere in the low double-digits.


Appearance: The beer appears to be an opaque inky black with a dense head that pretty well matches my bamboo cutting board backdrop! The head recedes down to about that layer that you see in the photo above.

Smell: This is one of the best-smelling porters I have ever smelled, period. Huge notes of bourbon and accompanying vanilla and molasses; there is also a spicy, roasted coffee note and even a scent of dark fruit like cherry. Incredible!

Taste: Not quite as richly complex as the nose, but still delicious, with notes of vanilla, molasses, smoke, bourbon, and mocha.

Mouthfeel: WYD? is full bodied, super creamy, and lightly carbonated. This mouthfeel is spot-on for what I want a beer like this to feel like.

Overall: This isn't a beer that got a lot of hype, and thus it was a pretty unknown entity when I received it. Big props to my friend for sending this over, because this was a fantastic beer. The nose alone on this was out of this world, and the taste -- though not as complex, as I mentioned -- was still well-balanced and varied. The mouthfeel was also perfect too. I think this beer kind of knocked it out of the park on some technical details. It's great tasting, but it goes above and beyond in other areas that are easy to forget when they're not as fantastically memorable as they were here. I'm not sure what the schedule is like for this beer to return to bottles, but if it ever does I'll be wanting more!

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment