Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lawson's Finest Liquids - Fayston Maple Ale aged in maple barrels

Lawson's says of the regular Fayston Maple Ale : "A huge, rich, and strong stout brewed with a maple twist. Designed to keep you warm on sub-zero nights and for sipping with a fine meal or dessert."

Of the barrel aged version, the bottle says: "Brewed with loads of roasted and black malts, & over two gallons of VT maple syrup per barrel, this beauty was carefully aged for over a year and Sapling Maple Liquor oak barrels from Saxton's River Distillery in Brattleboro, VT. This rich & complex beer will mature for many months... 11% ABV. Bottled December 2012"

Out of Vermont, Lawson's is known for their stellar IPAs and maple-themed beers. One such beer, the Maple Tripple, is on my wishlist. Until then, I was lucky to receive the maple barrel-aged Fayston Maple Ale in a trade.


Appearance: No light comes through this. It's completely pitch black, and I couldn't get much head to pour from the bottle. When I swirl the beer, it definitely leaves legs down the side of the glass, but I don't get any lacing.

Smell: There are definitely prominent oaky notes from the barrel, as well as a sweet hint of maple. The oak cuts through the maple nicely so that it's not overly cloying. There are also scents of chocolate, coffee, and tobacco.

Taste: The maple taste is delicious, and there is almost a spiciness that layers on top of the chocolate character, which is really nice. These flavors are backed by a heavy roasted malt foundation and a hint of vanilla.

Mouthfeel: A little thinner than I expected. It's still smooth and creamy, but it doesn't quite have the weight and viscosity that I associate with a barrel aged stout.

Overall: I love maple, and the maple characteristics elevated this beer beyond the ordinary for me. I do wish the body wasn't so thin; a bit of a thicker mouthfeel would have kicked this up another level. As it is, on the flavor alone, this is still one of my favorite new stouts I've tried this season, but I can't award full marks.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment