Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Founders - Red's Rye Pale Ale

This was another beer I got in a trade from a beer drinker in the Midwest, since we don't get Founders here in CA. Red's Rye is a year-round rye-based pale ale that clocks in at 6.6% ABV.



Appearance: This beer is a deep reddish amber in color, with a moderate amount of head that doesn't leave too much lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: A heavy aroma of caramel malt, spicy rye, dark berries. The hop aroma is fading, as this bottle is a few months old, but I still get faint traces of pine.

Taste: It's Similar to the smell, I taste bready grain and rye character, with some spice and grassy pine. The fruit character, though, is more citrusy than it is berry-like.

Mouthfeel: A great medium creamy body, with a nice dry finish. I definitely appreciate this mouthfeel, as it is at once rich, light, and effervescent.

Overall: I wish I could have tried a more fresh bottle. The rye and yeast characteristics were very nice here, but the hops were fading and outside of the pine notes I mostly just tasted the characteristic heavy maltiness that is signature for an older pale ale or IPA. Even so, this was not a bad beer and I really enjoyed the mouthfeel, so that helped my overall impression of it. My final score, with a grain of salt:

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment