Sunday, April 8, 2012

Yards Brewing - IPA

Yards brewery is located in Philadelphia, and this is (from my understanding) their flagship IPA. It's 7% ABV, and a year-round brew. I received this bottle in a trade.



Appearance: The beer is slightly cloudy, with about one finger poured of foamy head. Color is dusky orange. Head retention is okay, with moderate lacing left behind on the glass.

Smell: Nice hop aroma -- citrusy, with a background of sweetness and grain. There are some nice floral notes, but interestingly, the longer I sit with this beer, the less I am able to smell the original notes that I did right off of the pour. I don't know if that's me, or the actual aroma dissipating, but either way it's sad because it smelled nice.

Taste: Pretty well balanced. Hop flavors are held up with a strong and noticeable malt backbone. The main flavors are orange, clover honey, grass, and a touch of pine.

Mouthfeel: It has a thick and bready quality that is in contrast to the subtle, balanced flavor. I may have preferred lighter body because it makes this beer more imposing than it needs to be.

Overall: This is definitely a milder, English-style IPA, which is not my favorite. As I said above, I think I would have liked it a lot better if it drank lighter; it could have been really refreshing and a great day drinker (if not sessionable.) As it is, however, the approximately 6 ounces I have already consumed are sitting pretty heavily in my stomach. I feel like I've already finished the bottle, fullness-wise, but I'm only halfway done. That's a point against it for me, since I didn't really get the kind of hop punch that would warrant the large stomach real estate I'm experiencing here.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment