Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hill Farmstead Brewery - Society and Solitude #3

Remember this tiny brewery? This is my second lucky-to-have-it growler from the back woods of Vermont. S&S#3 is a double IPA at 8%, which Hill Farmstead says is hopped with lots of Columbus. And it's seriously delicious. Can I just say -- I've been on a real streak of trying GREAT beers later? I know, I know. I deserve all of your pity.


Appearance: It's very similar looking to their pale ale that I reviewed a week ago (linked above, or just scroll down.) It's perhaps a little deeper in hue, but the qualities of the head and color are more or less the same.

Smell: Orange, pineapple, and grapefruit -- all huge. There is a bit of a floral/herbal smell as well, but it's mostly a big, pleasing punch of citrus.

Taste: Juicy grapefruit is upfront, with some orange rind/zest. Slight herbal note again, but mostly big and fruity. There is a bit of sweetness, but the hops really shine and the malt backbone is present only as a foundation to bolster the powerful hop flavors.

Mouthfeel: A bit oily and medium bodied, but it finishes fairly dry. The dry finish helps out against the slickness -- not bad.

Overall: A great DIPA. I'd be happy to drink this any time. It holds up pretty well against some of my favorites, but doesn't quite break into the top echelon for me. That still puts it well within the top 15% of beers I've tasted and/or reviewed on this blog though! It's really, really good, and the flavors keep developing as the beer warms. I'm definitely enjoying this one tonight!

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment