Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Jolly Pumpkin - Baudelaire IO (2011)

I couldn't find a whole lot of detail on this one online, so unfortunately my fact-checking is a bit patchy. From what I understand, though, IO is a saison that is released in late winter/early spring, and it can be found wherever Jolly Pumpkin is normally distributed (which includes CA, yay!) Truly, Jolly Pumpkin is a really classy smallish brewery that focuses on doing a few oak-aged beers very well. IO is 6.8% ABV, brewed with rose hips, rose petals, and hibiscus, and is fermented at some point in the process with Brettanomyces.

My bottle has been aged for a year, so I am hoping to have more pronounced Brett character than I remember fresh, but I am also obviously interested in the overall character of the beer after a year's time. 


Appearance: The beer and the head both have a pinkish hue over clear amber. I know in the pic it looks cloudy, but once the pour settled it cleared up. The head was pretty tall but not extraordinarily dense, and it left some really interesting lacing clusters on the glass. Overall it's a really interesting looking beer and the picture doesn't really do it justice.

Smell: Lots of floral character, with definite funk. I definitely smell the hibiscus, but not so much the rose, and there are also strong notes of cherry and apple cider. There is also some peppery spice in there. It's a really interesting, diverse nose.

Taste: The taste is really unique, and great! The rose and hibiscus contribute to an overall fresh floral essence that doesn't scream either rose or hibiscus, but evokes green lawns and blooming gardens. The funk from the Brett is there, too: leather, slightly herbal. Finally, the fruit, similar to the nose, finishes the palate, with tastes of apple and citrus zest.

Mouthfeel: Light, effervescent, and very dry. Really refreshing and satisfying. I love this type of mouthfeel, especially for a saison.

Overall: I love this beer, but I think I do prefer it fresh. The Brett character did deepen a bit, but it didn't really improve the overall quality of the beer, and the cidery aspects of the fruit have started to become a bit more prominent after a year. Obviously though, as you could probably tell from the review notes, I really enjoyed drinking this, and will definitely be seeking it out on a yearly basis when it is released.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment