Monday, July 16, 2012

Hair of the Dog - Blue Dot IPA

From the website: "Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale is named after planet Earth, the only blue planet in this universe, and brewed in honor of Earth Day, with organic Pilsner malt, rye malt and a combo of intense hops."

Blue Dot is a 7% ABV "rotating" release, and this is from the "Spring 2012" batch. It's pretty widely available in Southern CA when it's produced, so I was able to grab it easily at the local beer shop.




Appearance: A flat straw color, pretty cloudy, with zero head. Toward the end of the pour from the bottle, I tried pouring straight down the middle to get some foam action, but I got nothing. It looks really under-carbonated -- pretty disappointing.

Smell: Sweet, slightly floral, but not a lot of hop character. There is a hint of cracker/biscuit, and a note that almost smells like milk.

Taste: A little bitter, and a little hot tasting (meaning alcohol is noticeable.) It's kind of flat, though -- not a lot of fruit or other bright hop flavors. Again, there is some biscuit and a bit of a resin note, but the flavors are muted and heavy. Even the bitterness, which must come from the hops, is heavy-handed without being bright or contributing some kind of flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thick and smooth, but a little oily. I think it is, in fact, under-carbonated a bit. More would have lightened it up considerably.

Overall: I'm not impressed, which is unfortunate. People rave about this beer, but after all of the excellent DIPAs I've had, this one is very mediocre. I may have gotten a bad bottle, or maybe this batch isn't up to par, but I'm currently unsatisfied and not too sure what the hype is about over this one. I'll try it on tap, perhaps, to give it another shot.

2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment