Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hill Farmstead Brewery - Society and Solitude #4

Hill Farmstead says: "Our experimental Double IPA experience continues. Hybrid Imperial IPA... Think Double Citra Meets Double Galaxy. 8% abv"

This is my second and last Hill Farmstead brew from a recent acquisition, and like all of their beers, it's extremely limited in quantity and availability. Further, I am not sure what the status is with these "Society and Solitude" batches, whether they are one-offs or experiments that they may repeat at a later date. As I'll get to in my review, I really hope they make this again, because it's amazing!



Appearance: Hazy bright orange with a creamy head that tops out at about two fingers in height. The head leaves web-like lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Crisp grapefruit and mango, a touch of sweet grass, very slight notes of caramel, and a touch of clean hop bitterness and floral aroma.

Taste: Bright, juicy citrus and sweet earthy character over a solid malt backbone. Flavors of tangerine and pineapple are at the forefront, with some mango contributing a sweetness that is not sticky or overwhelming. The earthy and floral notes come through toward the back end of the palate to provide balance to the fruity sweet character.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and creamy but not slick or oily. The carbonation level on this feels just right. Dry, but not extra dry finish.

Overall: This was really great. I think I prefer it to the Double Citra that I had most recently. It is a bit more balanced, and the bitterness at the end is much less medicinal or astringent tasting. There is a wonderful range of hop characteristics present here. I wish I had gotten more of this, since I am not sure if it is going to be brewed again, but I feel fortunate to be able to have tried it while it was available.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment