Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Jack's Abby Brewing - Hoponius Union

Jack's Abby says: "This lager harmoniously combines lager yeast fermentation and west coast IPA hops. Our India style Pale Lager is like a traditional IPA but with a twist - it’s fermented cold and aged for extended periods. A blend of classic American hops creates a huge tropical fruit and citrusy hop aroma. A dry finish accentuates the pleasant bitterness and hop profile. Hoponius Union uses locally grown dehulled spelt from MA."

Here's an interesting idea: an "India Pale Lager." It comes off a lot like an IPA, but there are very, very subtle differences that I was only really able to pick up on as the beer warmed up a little. This IPL is 6.7% ABV and is available only in Massachusetts, so I acquired it through a trade.


Appearance: Bright orange, with a modest head of about 2 fingers that leaves some lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: A lot of the typical IPA aromas here -- citrus and a little bit of grass/pine, with a hint of a biscuity malt base underneath.

Taste: It tastes like how it smells, with those citrus and resin notes, but there is also a bit of mango creating an additional tropical fruit dimension. There is a bit of sweet caramel malt that comes through at the end, too. In almost every way, this tastes like an IPA. The only difference I can notice, and this might even just be my palate playing tricks on me rather than any kind of real difference, is that it just seems to finish a bit more crisp or clean. This isn't the same as the "dry" finish I talk about a lot in the mouthfeel. When I am tasting a beer for review, I try to pick up flavors from the time the beer first hits my tongue until after I've swallowed it, all from the time the beer has first come out of the fridge to when it's been sitting with me for close to an hour. Many times, as IPAs warm, the alcohol seems to come out more, or the hops seem to lose their fruit characteristics and become more bitter/astringent. In any case, certain flavors, to me, often become more pronounced. This beer does the opposite: it calms down as it warms. I have literally no idea if this has anything to do with it being a lager, or if that is just a quality of this particular beer, but as I was sitting and trying to think of differences between this and the IPAs I typically drink, that's what I came up with. Make of that what you will.

Mouthfeel: Light in body, with moderate carbonation, and a finish that neither slick nor dry. It's nice, overall.

Overall: This was a pretty refreshing, drinkable beer, and I'm pleased with the results of this style experiment. I didn't get much out of this that I couldn't get out of any number of IPAs that are available to me in California, but it was unquestionably tasty and a pretty good choice for a summer beer.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment