Saturday, November 10, 2012

Arcadia Ales - Barrel Aged Shipwreck Porter (2011)

Arcadia says: "The Baltic-style porter has a robust malt character and a slight herbal hop bitterness. Aged for 12 months in 10-year-old Kentucky bourbon oak barrels, this alluring dark liquid features appealing undertones of vanilla, oak, cocoa and coffee. The aging occurs in abandoned mines in Michigan, at a constant temperature of 45F."

Acadia is a brewery out of Michigan. I don't have much information on the release schedule of Shipwreck Porter, but I am drinking the 2011 vintage, which is 12% ABV and saw distribution to Arcadia's usual distribution states in the midwest and New England. I acquired this bottle through trade -- thank you!


Appearance: This is a very dark brown beer with a tan colored head that pours to about 1.5 fingers in height and is actually retained fairly well as I drink, remaining at about.5 fingers in height.

Smell: There are huge notes obviously from the barrel treatment here -- oak, vanilla, and bourbon --, with additional notes of cherry, molasses, and a hint of juniper.

Taste: The biggest notes are those of roast and chocolate, and then additional flavors of vanilla, coffee, dark fruit, and molasses come in. There is noticeable alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: It's smooth, creamy, and lightly carbonated.

Overall: I thought this was a really tasty and complex porter. I read some other reviews where it was noted that the barrel treatment was overpowering; I disagree. Perhaps it's because I've sat on this for some time, but I thought the notes from the barrel added an interesting complexity that elevated what may have otherwise been a good but standard porter. I'd happily drink this again.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment