Saturday, October 8, 2011

Ballast Point - Indra Kunindra

"India-style" export stout, 7% ABV

This was a collaboration between Ballast Point and a local homebrewer, and as a result is one of the more original and out-there brews produced by Ballast Point.


Appearance: Very typical stout appearance -- like dark black oil, but with very little head and head retention.

Smell: It blows the mind. Cumin, coconut, and the spiced curry adjuncts are the strongest. Chocolate is very faint, and I don't get any coffee at all.

Taste: The whole body is bolstered by the (strong) undertone of coconut. In addition to the coconut, the first apparent tastes are the cumin and curry. At the end the added cayenne kicks in and definitely gives you that peppery warmth in the back of your throat. They say they also added lime juice; I don't detect it personally, but it's possible that it's imperceptible but the beer would somehow taste differently without it. The typical stout notes are barely present here, if at all. It basically seems like it's a stout just because that's the kind of weight that would support this much powerfully packed flavor.

Mouthfeel: It's actually light to medium in the body, which is light for a stout, but necessary for this beer. Too much physical body in the mouth would feel so overbearing with the flavor profile here.

Overall: I quite like it. I've had it twice now, both times in small quantities, and both times I've said that though I like it, and that this is absolutely a unique beer and I've never had anything like it, I don't know that I would want to undertake the whole 22oz bottle (or even a whole pint) all by myself. There is just so much going on. If you get the opportunity to try this, I'd highly recommend it, but try it out in small quantities first and see how you feel.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment