Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Eagle Rock Brewery, Craftsman Brewing - Unity (2011)

Tamarind Saison ~7% ABV


Appearance: It's light to medium copper colored, and slightly hazy with constant, visible carbonation. The pour in this picture is from a growler, so it has lost some of the fizz, but when poured fresh Unity has a small-ish (1-2 fingers) head but very good retention in a tulip glass.

Smell: Primarily tamarind (appropriately), with nice barnyard spice and sweet bready malt. None of the scents are overpowering in any way -- the total effect is that it's subtle but inviting.

Taste: It opens with tangy citrus on the palate, which makes its way into the tamarind notes over a backbone of nice bready character (similar to the nose.) There is spiciness throughout and especially into the finish.

Mouthfeel: It's medium bodied with refreshing effervescence when consumed fresh. From this growler, it was still medium bodied, but smoother.

Overall: Another saison I enjoy. It's not my favorite of Eagle Rock's beers, or even my favorite saison of theirs. But I like the style so much that this is easily something that I would purchase in bottles to have stashed for year-round consuming. As it's a seasonal release, I'll definitely be taking the opportunity to drink this as long as it's on tap.

So far I've preferred to give whole-number scores, but I'm going to break the trend here and give it 3.5/5. It gets a boost for being a saison -- and since I'm biased, being from Eagle Rock -- but there are other saisons (and as I mentioned, other ERB saisons) that I prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment