Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Westbrook Brewing Co - IPA

I got this in a trade from BeerAdvocate member in South Carolina. (Trading f'ing rocks, by the way. Loving the opportunity to try new stuff from around the country.) 6.8% ABV


Appearance: Cloudy amber. Head and lacing on the glass are minimal.

Smell: The nose is very malt forward. Caramel malt and yeasty bread are predominant. Mixed with the sweetness there is a bit of a dank scent from the hops, but it's not very aromatic. If I am getting any notes from the hops, there may be citrus.

Taste: Oh, there are hops in this! I like to call IPAs like this "forest" IPAs. Resin, pine, and a nearly nutty quality are present on the palate. A bit of mango in there too, but mostly wood.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light and dry, actually. This is nice and refreshing.

Overall: It grew on me. I'm spoiled by "hop bomb" west coast IPAs and this is a bit more subtle. The more that I drank it, the more that I appreciated its understated quality. It's a pretty drinkable IPA. I think at the end of the day I still like being punched in the face by the hoppiness of my IPAs, but I absolutely would drink this again. And I will, as I have another can. Yay!

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment