Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Fegley's Brew Works - Hop'solutely

Imperial/Triple IPA, 11.5% ABV
I received this as an extra in a trade. I don't know a lot about this brewer or this beer, but it's an east-coast brew.

Forgot to take a picture again. My bad.
Appearance: Bright, clear gold, slightly tinged with red/orange. Quite a lot of visible carbonation and a decently thick head that mellowed out over the span of a few minutes.

Smell: At first it's all booze and astringent hops. A little off-putting. I went back in for a second sniff to try again, and got more mellow floral notes underneath the strong medicinal blast.

Taste: A little more citrus here, and more floral character, but alas -- it's still way too boozy to be remotely balanced or even pleasant. The hops take on a sharp medicinal character and combined with the heat from the alcohol it just becomes a hot mess.

Mouthfeel: A bit oily and saplike. Not unpleasant, but I was so overwhelmed by the taste that I didn't really stop to evaluate the mouthfeel as I was sipping.

Overall: For me, not a winner. A failed attempt to do a really big IPA in the manner of the eminent Pliny the Younger, but it lacks balance and the interesting subtleties of hop character that are present in its much more successful peers. Not recommended overall, but as on the reality TV shows I watch, points for not being safe and boring.

2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment