Thursday, March 22, 2012

Founders - Double Trouble

DIPA, 9.4%ABV
Double Trouble is available during the first half of the year wherever Founders is normally distributed. I received it through a trade as Founders doesn't make it out here to California.



Appearance: Bright, clear gold with an orange tone. Looks like honey. Very little head though, and it recedes to nothing, with no lacing left on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Primarily tropical fruit -- especially mango -- with hints of grapefruit and orange zest. There is also a strong sweetness from the malt, and some grassy and bready character as well.

Taste: For me, this beer tastes exactly how it smells. The mango and grapefruit are strongest, but there are hints of orange. The mid-notes include pine, grass, and grain, and then the alcohol is definitely present in the finish. Overall the beer is pretty balanced; the hops are not extraordinarily dominant, considering that it's a DIPA. I would prefer to have a less prominent alcohol burn at the end, though.

Mouthfeel: Pretty basic -- medium bodied with a moderately dry finish.

Overall: A lot of people seem to like this beer, but I actually wasn't a huge fan. Don't get me wrong; it was decent and solid, but compared to some other DIPAs I've had, I wasn't blown away. As I've mentioned a million times, I really do like very hoppy DIPAs, and this one didn't really hit me hard with hop character. That, combined with the alcohol at the end, made this not a personal favorite. Still, the flavor notes were nice and I'd drink it again if I had the chance.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment