Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Kern River Brewing Co - Citra DIPA

DIPA, 8% ABV, bottle released Thanksgiving day.

Holy crap guys, I hit the motherload on this one.
"THIS BEER IS ALL ABOUT THE HOPS. Cirtus, mango, and pineapple aromas abound; but make no mistake, there is no fruit here, just a serious dry-hop regimine (sic) of Citra and Amarillo hops. We put in just enough malt backing to balance out the flavor, but Citra Double IPA is as close as it gets to chewing on a hop vine. Enjoy this one fresh --  at least while you can get your hands on it!"


Appearance: Hazy orange, with a thick, full head that leaves nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Lovely aromatics include citrus and mango, with an undertone of honey and sweet grain.

Taste: Hoppy as hell, but balanced too? How does that even work? A bouquet of grapefruit, pineapple, mango, orange zest, and floral notes are backed reliably, but not overpoweringly, by resin and caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: Unique and fantastic. Full and robust, but then finishes perfectly clean and dry. They've gotten this exactly right.

Overall: My reviews are becoming more concise, which is probably good. I'm worried though, that in this case, my shorter review is doing Citra a disservice by sneakily implying I don't have much to say about it. On the contrary, I could probably go on for hours about how delicious this is, not to mention balanced and finished perfectly. This is as close to a perfect brew as I've ever had, and it's definitely at the top of my favorites list. I wish it was easier to come by, and I wish I had a spell to magically make this cellar-able, so that I could have it on hand as I pleased.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment