Saturday, December 3, 2011

New Belgium Lips of Faith - Prickly Passion Saison

8.5% ABV "...pleasing prickly passion saison brewed with fruit juices and French saison yeast to our brewmaster's picking."


Appearance: Dark golden amber, minimal visible carbonation, and a smallish head that recedes fairly quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Ester! Banana, apple, clove. Honestly, it kind of smells like a pumpkin ale.

Taste: Seriously, is this a winter-warmer-pumpkin-saison? It's been a long day, but I'm pretty sure that's what I'm tasting here. It's definitely fruity, with the banana characteristics, and I actually do get a note of what I believe is the prickly pear.

Mouthfeel: Thick. Thick as hell. It's kind of bizarre. Like I said earlier, this seems to have all of the sweetness, heat, and viscosity of a winter warmer, and yet it's supposed to be a saison.

Overall: It's supposed to be a saison? Huh. I guess I get a bit of funk, but really, if you put this in front of me and didn't tell me the style, I would have guessed pumpkin/holiday/winter ale. It's not bad. But it's not exceptional, and it certainly bears no resemblance to its name -- the prickly pear is there (I think) but where is the passion? And the saison? As a saison, this is just not good. As a winter warmer, eh. It's okay. I've had way better this season.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment