Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Kern River Brewing Co - Just Outstanding IPA

6.8% ABV


Appearance: Hazy, deep orange-amber. The head pours to about three fingers-worth in a tulip glass. Lacing and retention are average.

Smell: Big on citrus -- orange, pineapple, grapefruit. Just the slightest hint of resin, but the hop characteristics are followed at the end by sweetness from the malt and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: Still a lot of citrus, but the earthy-resin character also comes through a lot more here in the taste than in the nose. There is a slightly bready characteristic at the very end, toward the back of the palate.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy, but with a reasonably dry finish. Pretty nice, but some of the lightness may be coming from a whiff of alcohol at the end.

Overall: Not the best or the worst. I've probably done Kern a disservice by trying Citra from them before Just Outstanding (next up, I'll be doing this to Russian River by trying Blind Pig!) But really, this is actually nice. I'm not very particular with my IPAs in that I love many of them, but I have over time started to distinguish between some that I really love and some that I simply enjoy. The particular balance of notes in this one didn't really tickle me as much as others have, but I'd still recommend it to any hophead.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment