Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Russian River - Blind Pig

IPA, 6.1% ABV
Blind Pig is brewed year-round, but it's only available in many markets on a batch-by-batch basis. When a new batch gets sent here to LA, it probably won't be on the shelves for more than a day or two at most good bottle shops. Some shops limit purchases to one bottle per customer per day because of its popularity.


































 Appearance: Honey colored, with a smallish (2 fingers) head, which recedes quickly and demonstrates little retention. There is also very little lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma here isn't overpowering, and the hops in particular were not very prevalent. The malt was obvious, with caramel and biscuit scents.

Taste: It's also very biscuity on the palate, with some pine. The male backbone is present but not overpowering. There are also notes of apricot and lemon zest.

Mouthfeel: This beer is medium to full bodied, and a bit sticky.

Overall: I hinted earlier that I may be doing Russian River a disservice by comparing Blind Pig to Pliny the Elder, a DIPA and one of my favorite beers of all time. This is definitely a quality IPA, but I wasn't blown away, unfortunately. Adding to that was my disappointment in missing out on the hop aroma that I love so much. It just wasn't there for me.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment