Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Three Floyds - Dreadnaught

Double/Imperial IPA, 9.5% ABV
This IPA has year-round availability in Three Floyds distribution areas. As with other Three Floyds beers, I received it in a trade because we don't get it here.



Appearance: It's light golden amber with a dense, creamy head. The head has great retention and leaves sticky lacing on the glass.

Smell: All sticky, dank hops, with biscuit and honey.

Taste: This beer claims citrus, but I taste floral character from the hops hops on a caramel malt backbone. There's also slight astringency and burn from the alcohol. The lasting flavor on the tongue is pine and grass.

Mouthfeel: Big and smooth, a bit sticky, but it finishes more dry than I would expect.

Overall: A pretty balanced, drinkable (relative to the style) double IPA. I'm the type that (perhaps unfortunately?) doesn't want my double IPAs to be well balanced though -- I want to leave the malt behind and be blown over by hops. Still, this was a tasty, skillfully crafted beer that I enjoyed drinking, so I can't fault it too much for doing its thing well.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment