Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Three Floyds - Arctic Panzer Wolf

Imperial/Double IPA, 9% ABV
This beer is available year-round from Three Floyds. As with other Three Floyds beers, I received it in a trade because we don't get it here.


Appearance: Cloudy, light honey-colored. Similar to a hefeweizen, actually. Very little head (as you can see in the photo!) and no retention of that head.

Smell: Citrus! Very sweet citrus, almost overripe. I get primarily pineapple, and maybe some orange?

Taste: For me, it's equal parts yeast and hops, which isn't bad, since as you know my main criterion is that it's not too malty. I definitely get some orange and pineapple, with a bready finish. Even though it's rather boozy, the heat from the alcohol is pretty well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Pretty average -- not very heavy or light, and a somewhat sticky finish. If it were a little more dry, I'd be impressed.

Overall: I like it! It's not the best DIPA I've ever had, but I'm pretty picky after trying as many as I have. But this definitely falls into the category of "would recommend, and would have again."

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment